Wednesday, August 24, 2011

English Muffin Bread Breakfast Pizzas


This is a super hearty make ahead breakfast.  My family has loved these.  The great thing about them is that you can customize them however you want.  This is a picture of the vanilla version I made for my kiddos--just bacon and cheese.  My hubby's had a lot more good stuff on it.  You can play around with the toppings and have fun with them.  I did some with cheese, bacon, green onions and red peppers.  I even put some partially steamed broccoli on a batch that I made.  Since I'm having a love affair with pesto right now I'm going to try putting a little pesto in with the eggs next time.

I love that one little item can meet my breakfast standard of a carb and protein all at once.  I make sure they have some fruit to go with it and its perfect!  Fresh strawberries or melon would be great.

I only have one word of caution.  If you are using sausage, ham or bacon on these, then leave the salt out of the egg mixture or it will be too salty.  You don't want to dehydrate your kids on the way to school.

English Muffin Bread Breakfast Pizzas
Makes about 10 pizzas


8 eggs
3 Tbs. milk
1/4 tsp. salt
About 15 dashes of Tabasco sauce (this doesn't add heat, just flavor)
1 loaf of English muffin bread sliced quite thick  (You can also use English muffins)

Toppings:

Cooked crumbled bacon
Chopped ham
Cooked sausage
Cheese
Green onions
Red peppers
Chopped tomatoes
Steamed broccoli
Be creative!!

Heat the oven to 400°.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray generously with non stick cooking spray.

In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and Tabasco sauce.  Soak the English muffin bread in the egg mixture so both sides are coated.  Don't let it get too soggy.  Place on the baking sheet.

Top as desired then sprinkle with cheese.  Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the egg is set.

After baking, loosen the pizzas from the pan and let them cool completely.  Freeze them individually on the baking sheet then transfer to a freezer bag.  To reheat, microwave them for 1 1/2 minutes or heat them in the oven or toaster oven for 10-15 minutes at 350°.

Recipe source:  Adapted from Our Best Bites

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...