Thursday, November 11, 2010

Cajun Chicken Pasta


If you need a change from the usual chicken and pasta then you need to try this.  It is absolutely delicious.  The Cajun seasoning gives it a nice little kick, but it isn't too spicy for the whole family to enjoy.  My kids devoured this.  There were only 2 things I would change about this recipe.  First, I wouldn't even add the mushrooms in the ingredient list.  Fungus is something I can hardly stand to look at.  Every once in a while I'll use them just because the rest of my family likes them, but not very often.  Yuck! 

Second, next time I'll thicken the sauce just a little bit.  My preferred method is to add a little of the roux I keep in my fridge.  A roux is a mixture of a fat (usually butter or bacon grease-my favorite) and flour in equal parts.  Whenever I make bacon (which is pretty often since its my food of choice) I mix in some flour until its fairly thick, let it cool and store it in a container in the fridge.  When I need to thicken a sauce or soup I add it to the dish a teaspoon or so at a time until its the consistency I want it.  Its really easy!

Cajun Chicken Pasta
Serves 4-6

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into thin strips
4 tsp. Cajun seasoning (I used Tony Chachere's)
4 Tbs. butter or margarine
1/2 sweet red pepper cut into strips
1/2 sweet green pepper cut into strips
2 green onions, sliced
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
12 oz. linguine,cooked and drained
Grated Parmesan cheese

Place the chicken and Cajun seasoning in a resealable plastic bag and toss to coat.  In a skillet over medium, saute the chicken in butter until almost cooked.  Add the peppers, mushrooms and onion.  Cook and stir for about 5 minutes.  Reduce the heat and add the cream and seasonings and heat through.  Add the linguine and heat through.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Source:  Adapted from Taste of Home

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...