Friday, July 15, 2011

Southwestern Haystacks


I know that almost everyone has tried Hawaiian Haystacks, but have you ever tried Southwestern Haystacks?  It is basically the same concept, just with taco ingredients!  I have an unhealthy obsession with Mexican food, so I created this recipe to help feed my addiction in new and exciting ways.  Over the years I've tweaked and refined it, and its always a hit with everyone who tries it.  The ingredients are simple and you probably have most of them in your pantry or fridge right now.  I make this on busy nights since I can have it on the table in 30 minutes.

My family, specifically my 16 year old son Colton, loves this so much that I have to make him his own 8 x 8 pan.  And HE EATS THE WHOLE THING!!  Its unbelievable!  I've never in my entire life seen anyone eat that much food.  I think he may have a future in competitive eating.  :)

Southwestern Haystacks
Serves about 10

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
3/4 cup tomato juice
3/4 cup water
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2-3 cups hot cooked rice
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
8 oz. Velveeta cheese, cubed (I like the Mexican flavored Velveeta)

Toppings

Shredded lettuce
Diced Tomatoes
Sliced black olives
Shredded cheddar cheese
Sliced jalapenos

In a skillet, brown the beef and onion until cooked through.  Drain.  Add the tomato juice, water, green chilies, black beans and taco seasoning and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until water is absorbed. 

While the meat is simmering, make the cheese sauce.  In a sauce pan, melt the butter.  Stir in the flour until smooth.  Gradually add the milk.  Bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes.  Reduce the heat and stir in the Velveeta until melted.

Spread the hot rice in the bottom of a  9 x 13 pan.  Then spread the meat mixture on top of the rice.  Pour the cheese sauce over the meat.  Top with lettuce, tomatoes, olives, shredded cheese and sliced jalapenos.  Serve with tortilla chips.

Source:  A Mommy's original recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...