Monday, March 19, 2012

SRC: Oreo Cookie Brownies


I love the Secret Recipe Club for so many reasons, but this month I love it because I got to snoop around Rhonda's blog, The Kitchen Witch. I've actually been reading her blog for a while. And I'll bet she doesn't realize it, but we've even conversed through email. You see, I also write a dutch oven cooking blog (that I've neglected lately) and Rhonda is a budding dutch oven chef! She shared a hilarious dutch oven cooking experience with me.  You'll get a kick out of her experience and storytelling abilities here!

I have to say, The Kitchen Witch has something for everyone.  From the gourmet to simple but delicious recipes, I know you'll find something you'll love!  I chose this dessert because I needed something quick and kid friendly.  My oldest daughter wanted to have some friends over for a party and I needed a dessert to serve after the BBQ.  These Oreo Cookie Brownies was a huge hit.  I had no idea that 6 teenage girls could eat an entire pan of brownies!  This is what was left after they got through with it.  I'm glad they saved me a small piece!


 I did make one small change to the recipe.  The original calls for store bought frosting, and I have a hard time eating it because it's so sweet.  So I substituted vanilla pudding mixed with whipped topping as the frosting.

Oreo Cookie Brownies
Serves 15
 2 cups Cookie Crumbs (about 1 package of Oreo cookies)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 box brownie mix (plus ingredients listed on the box to prepare the mix i.e. eggs, oil and water)
1 large box instant vanilla pudding
1 1/2 cups milk
1 (8 oz.) container whipped topping
Mini Oreo cookies or cookie crumbles

Preheat the oven to 350°F.  Mix the cookie crumbs and the melted butter.  Press into a 9×13 pan.  Prepare the brownies according to the package directions.  Pour the batter over the prepared cookie crust, spread evenly.  Bake according to the package directions.

Let the brownies cool completely.  While the brownies are cooling, mix the pudding with the milk and stir well.  Carefully fold in the whipped topping and spread on top of cooled brownies.  Top with mini Oreo cookies or cookie crumbles and enjoy!  Store any leftovers (if there are any) in the refrigerator.


22 comments:

  1. amazing!! love the last pictures here would be happens the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the Kitchen Witch a round or two ago, too, and I made these same brownies! Aren't they amazing? Can't go wrong with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so yummy! I love the pudding/whipped topping frosting idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite! They sound amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Rhonda's site---she makes me laugh out loud! This was a great recipe to post for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, these look SO good!!! And I love that you used the vanilla pudding with whipped topping for frosting. I will definitely have to try that. Thanks for sharing, Toni!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Toni, I had no idea that you had another blog! I'll be following you along through this one also! I'm so happy you got assigned my blog <3! I agree about the store bought frosting, the vanilla/whipped cream mixture is a great easy substitution!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow this is such a great idea. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make a different version of these that has Vanilla Buttercream over the top of the brownies. This sounds like a nice light version for summer though - I'll have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can't go wrong with oreos! My little one especially loves them and would love, love, love this dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No way, I love that last pic. Just a teeny peice left for the chef :( Sometimes that's what makes me happy if all of my food dissapears! It's the true sign of appreciation.
    Take care..

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Group A, I had to check these out. Mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look so good! And I love the sound of the frosting/topping with pudding mix!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious pick! I love Rhonda's blog...she is the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, this sounds decadent,and wonderful!! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a great crowd pleasing menu. Who doesn't love Oreo's??
    Great SRC pick. Kitchen Witch is a fun blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is it terrible that I am looking at this before 7AM and want to dig in, before having breakfast? Looks yum! Nice choice for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for all your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So simple and delicious looking, great SRC pick.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' SRC entry: Broiled Sushi.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow - this looks divine :) zuuzs is hosting a Spring Recipe Challenge and I'd like to invite you to join! It's a great opportunity for you to promote your blog and showcase your recipe in front of thousands of people. Plus, there are prizes including a $500 Gift Card for the Grand Prize and three $200 Gift Cards as the top Category prizes you can use to buy kitchen related wares.

    Please visit this post full contest details and how you can participate: http://makobiscribe.com/2012/03/calling-all-cooks-come-join-the-grand-spring-recipe-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! We made these brownies yesterday, and they were a huge hit. One suggestion.. You may want to revise the recipe to note Instant Pudding and the actual size of the pudding. We used the small 3 oz box of French Vanilla and the topping turned out really nice. We used cook and serve pudding at first, and then realized this was wrong because the topping was way too runny. So we had to remake the topping, but it turned out really nice. VERY VERY rich!

    ReplyDelete

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...