Thursday, August 2, 2012

Zucchini Gratin



If you have an over abundance of zucchini, raise your hand!  I love zucchini so I can never have to much.  In my area the joke is that if you leave your windows rolled down or your car doors unlocked during church you'll find your car filled with zucchini.  I personally don't see a problem with that.  There are so many ways to cook it that we never seem to get bored with it.

Lately, I've been trying some different recipes that I probably wouldn't have tried in the past.  I haven't worried about whether my kiddos would like them, I'm just trying to expand their palates a little bit by trying familiar foods in a different way.  Is it working, you ask?  The jury is still out, but trying new dishes is (almost) never a bad thing.  Sometimes you find something unexpected that you really love!

Take this Zucchini Gratin for example.  I was questioning my judgement a little as I was pouring the eggs over the zucchini.  I certainly didn't expect to love this stuff!  But love it I did.  It is really different and could probably be served for brunch as well as at dinner. 


Zucchini Gratin
Serves about 8

 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil 
3 cloves Garlic, Minced 
1 whole Medium Onion, Chopped 
2 whole Roma Tomatoes, Chopped 
3 whole Medium Zucchini, Sliced And Halved 
1 teaspoon Ground Thyme 
1 teaspoon Salt 
2 Tablespoons Flour 
2 whole Eggs 
1/2 cups Half-and-half 
1/2 tsp. sriracha  hot sauce or Tabasco  (Add more if you like some heat with your eggs.)
1/4 cups Shredded Cheddar 
1/4 cups Grated Parmesan 
  
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 2 quart casserole or glass baking dish with cooking spray.

Over medium heat, saute garlic in just enough olive oil to coat your skillet. Add onion and chopped tomatoes; stir and cook until onion is tender.

Add zucchini, thyme, salt and flour. Stir and cook for a few more minutes until zucchini is tender. Spread veggies in prepared pan. 

Whisk together eggs and sriracha with half and half. Stir in cheddar cheese. Pour this egg mixture over veggies. Sprinkle on grated Parmesan. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, or until lightly puffed up and a bit golden on top.

Source:  Tasty Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...