Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Watermelon Jelly a.k.a. Summer in a Jar



This is one of my favorite canning recipes and the one I get the most requests for with the exception of my salsa recipe.  It has such clear gorgeous color and delicate flavor that it became an instant family favorite.

I used to always wonder where they came up with the watermelon flavor for those little hard candies I loved so much as a kid, because I never thought it tasted anything like a watermelon.  Until I made this jam.  My favorite part is that it's like eating those little hard candies spread on my toast.  I love opening a jar in the middle of winter and being taken back to the long days of summer that I love so much.  Give this a try while watermelons are still plentiful.  You'll be glad you did!

**Every once in a while I'll have a batch of this not set up.  Don't worry, it makes great pancake syrup!**

Watermelon Jelly a.k.a. Summer in a Jar
Makes 2 pints or 4 half pints

4 cups chopped up watermelon
3 1/2 cups sugar
3 Tbs. lemon juice
1 box pectin (I use Sure Jell)

Choose a nice ripe watermelon and cut it into chunks.  It doesn't have to be seedless, so don't worry about that.  Puree in a blender or food processor.

Strain out all the seeds and solids by pouring the puree through a fine mesh strainer or through cheesecloth.  Don't skip this step, or for some reason the jelly doesn't set well. 

Measure out two cups of watermelon juice and put it in a large pot.  If you don't have quite enough juice, use the water that is in the bottom of the half used melon.  Add the lemon juice and pectin to the pot.

Bring the watermelon juice to a full rolling boil (the kind that can't be stirred away) and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. The pectin should stir in and dissolve as the juice heats, so don't worry if it clumps at first.

Add the sugar all at once and stir well.  Bring it back to a rolling boil (the kind that can't be stirred away) and boil for 1 minute. (Be sure to follow the instructions in the pectin package.  Sure Jell boils 1 minute at this point, but other brands may require a longer boiling time.)

Remove from the heat and fill hot jars with hot jelly.  Adjust lids and rings and process in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes.  (This is for an altitude of 4,000 feet.)

Source:  Pick Your Own

2 comments:

  1. very excited to try this! I have one question all I have on hand is ball liquid pectin ... can I use that as substitute for this recipe ? thanks !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, liquid pectin and powdered pectin can't be used interchangeably. You'll end up with watermelon syrup if you use the liquid. Sorry!

      Delete

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...