Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Chorizo with Black Beans and Rice



I've wanted to try cooking with chorizo for a while, but I've never had a recipe for it.  Then I started running across different recipes here and there, but none of them were quite what I wanted.  So I took them all and combined them into a "Mommy's Original".  This can be served several ways.  As a taco filling on homemade tortillas, in taco salad, or wrapped in a burrito and deep fried.  Top it with sour cream and homemade guacamole and it is delicious!  It has a wonderful spicy zip on the back end that surprised me.  My children absolutely loved it!  I'll warn you, this makes A LOT!  It would easily feed 10 or 12 people (or 6 growing teenagers).

Chorizo with Black Beans and Rice
Serves 8-10

1 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 lb. ground chorizo sausage
1 29 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tsp. thyme
1 Tbs. minced fresh cilantro
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. fresh minced garlic
1 cup diced onion
1 1/2 cups long grain rice
1 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese

Cook the rice according to package directions.  Heat the oil in a large skillet or dutch oven.  Add the onion and cook until tender.  Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Remove the chorizo from the casings and add to the onions.  Cook completely.  Add thyme and salt.  Once the chorizo is cooked, add the black beans and tomatoes.  Stir and heat through.  Add the cooked rice.  (I just added enough rice to get the consistency I wanted.)  Sprinkle with cheese and serve.  These would be good in the homemade tortillas from yesterday.  Serves 8-10.

Source:  A Mommy's original recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...