Thursday, October 21, 2010

Smashers

I think I'm sick. 

Not physically. 

In the head. 

Really.  There's something wrong with me.  I never used to be like this.

I dream about food.  Not necessarilly eating it, although there is some of that involved.  I dream about cooking. 

And yes, sometimes when I think about food I have to undo the top button on my pants, and soon my thighs may need their own zip code.  But thats okay.

Guess what else I do.

I DVR my soaps (the daytime shows on Food Network) so that I can watch them in the middle of the night when I can't sleep.  For some reason, my life revolves around making food.  I call all this my "Culinary Therapy".  Its much cheaper than a shrink and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside with out having to spill my guts. (Although judging by my waistline I could stand to do some of that too!)

Here is our latest addiction.  We love mashed potatoes, but Mr. Mommy won't eat them with gravy of any kind, so I have to find ways to make them taste good without it.  Thats where bacon comes in.  I could sing songs about bacon.  It must be what they eat in heaven since it will make anything on the planet taste better.  Add cheese and ranch dressing and you have a side dish that everyone will fight over.  I literally had to pull my 14 year old son's head out of the bowl.  He was licking it clean.  As I think about it, I may not be the only one in my family who is "sick". 


Smashers
Serves 6-8

10-12 small red potatoes (I like to leave the skins on)
5-6 slices of bacon
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 pkg. dry ranch dressing mix
4 ounces softened cream cheese
4-5 chopped green onions
warm milk
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot, boil the potatoes until tender.  Meanwhile, fry the bacon until crisp.  Drain on paper towels and crumble.  Drain the potatoes; add the cream cheese, ranch dressing mix and milk and smash by hand with a potato masher.  Fold in the bacon, cheddar cheese and onions until well mixed.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Source:  A Mommy's original inspired by Wallaby's restaurant

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...