Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Soft and Chewy Gingersnaps


I was really hoping to post the soup I made for dinner, but it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped.  Its a great recipe, I think it just needs some tweaking.  Instead I have a fabulous recipe for Gingersnaps.  I've had this for years and as luck would have it, my son decided to try it yesterday.  Before now, the only gingersnaps I've ever had are the super crunchy ones that you get in a 3 pound bag at Walmart around the holidays.  Its so sad that I didn't know what I was missing.  Homemade gingersnaps are soft, chewy, sweet and delicious!  They would be amazing crumbled over ice cream and drizzled with caramel sauce.  But my favorite way to eat them is hot out of the oven!

Soft and Chewy Gingersnaps

3/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/4 cups sifted flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ginger
pinch of cloves
white sugar for rolling the cookies in

Preheat the oven to 375°.  Cream the shortening, brown sugar, molasses and egg.  Add the dry ingredients and mix well.  Form into small balls about the size of a walnut and roll in sugar.  Bake for 8-10 minutes.

Source:  An old church cookbook

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Toni! We made these cookies for Secret Recipe Club in October and tweeted about it. Grandma's Molasses tweeted us back that we should enter them in their cookie contest which is happening now. Since it's your recipe, so I thought I would let you know and you could enter them! You can find the information on the Grandma's Molasses Facebook page. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...