Monday, December 20, 2010

Broccoli Cheese Salad


I wish I could have come up with a better name for this salad.  Something that told you how yummy and different this really is.  Its a nice switch from the pasta salads that seem to over take any picnic or potluck.  I've had this several times over the past few years, but never had the recipe until now.  It was a family favorite from the first bite.  My oldest  (vegetable hating) daughter took one bite and said "Oooh Mom, I love this!".  If that's not a glowing recommendation then I don't know what is. 

This salad can be made ahead of time too!  It even tastes better the second day.  If you're going to prepare this in advance wait until just before you serve it to add the cheese.  That way it won't get soggy sitting in the dressing.  I'm taking this to our family Christmas potluck dinner.

Broccoli Cheese Salad
Serves 12

1 cup crasins
1 1/2 lbs. broccoli, chopped into small pieces
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup sweet red onion, chopped
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup sunflower seeds
3/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
1 Tbs. vinegar
1/4 cup sugar

Combine the mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar.  Mix well.  Combine the crasins, broccoli, bacon, onion, cheese and sunflower seeds.  Toss well.  Add the mayonnaise dressing and mix until well combined.

Source:  My friend Jenna T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...