Monday, December 27, 2010

Garlic Mashed Potatoes


I really wish I had a better picture of this or that they LOOKED like Garlic Mashed Potatoes.  Because I have to say, these are amazing!  Who knew a potato with no gravy could have so much flavor or could call to me the way these do.  And there isn't even any bacon in them!  I can't tell you how many times I've made these in the past few months.  I think they are partly responsible for me fitting into jeans that were too big a few months ago.  All the chocolate I've eaten could have helped too, now that I think about it.  But if I had to choose between chocolate and these potatoes, right now the potatoes would win.  These are perfect paired with just about any meal.  Chicken, meatballs, meatloaf, roast, ham...the list is endless. 

Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Serves about 6

6 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2/3 cup half and half or milk
6 Tbs. butter
3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
2-3 tsp. kosher salt, or to taste (1-1/2 tsp. table salt)
black pepper to taste

Put the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water.  Boil over high heat until the potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.  Drain well and transfer to a mixing bowl.  In a small saucepan combine the half and half, butter and garlic cloves.  Heat over medium heat until the butter is melted and the cream is warm, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat and set aside.

Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until smooth.  Remove and discard the garlic.  Pour the cream mixture over the potatoes and add the salt and pepper to taste.  Using a rubber spatula, fold the potatoes over themselves to combine the ingredients, but try not to over mix.

***I sometimes use more or less half and half depending on what I'm serving them with and how creamy or stiff I want them.***

Source:  A recipe I've been making more years than I can count.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...