Thursday, January 20, 2011

Butterflake Dinner Rolls


I have to admit, I can't make rolls.  I can make great bread, bread bowls, bread sticks, focaccia, french bread, but I can't make rolls.  I try, but they always turn out heavy and weird looking.  So the fact that these rolls turned out so great is a miracle.  This seems to be the only roll recipe I'm capable of not screwing up, so by default they are my favorite.  These rolls grace every holiday and Sunday table.  If I make rolls to take to the neighbors, they get these.  Its a good thing they're delicious!  The eggs give them a rich flavor, but the texture is so light and fluffy.  I could eat them all day long.

Butterflake Dinner Rolls
Makes about 24 rolls

3 eggs
1 cup warm milk
1/2 cup warm water
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 Tbs. yeast
4-5 cups flour

4-8 Tbs. additional melted butter for brushing the tops

In a bowl, mix the sugar and yeast in the warm water.  Let stand for about 10 minutes.  Add the warm milk, eggs, salt and butter.  Mix well.  Add the flour 1 cup at a time and mix well.  Use enough flour to form a soft dough that pulls away from the side of the mixing bowl.  Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.  Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. 

Punch the dough down and divide in half.  On a greased board, roll half of the dough into a circle about 1/2 inch thick.  With a pastry brush, brush the dough with melted butter.  Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into triangles as you would cut a pizza.  Roll each triangle up crescent roll style and place on a greased baking sheet.  Repeat with the remaining dough.  Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes. 

Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.  Brush hot rolls with melted butter.

Source:  My friend Chris O.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...