Monday, February 7, 2011

Decadent Chocolate Truffle Brownies


I've been looking for an excuse to make these brownies.  I bookmarked this recipe a while ago, but haven't used it until now.  I can tell you, they will be making regular appearances at my house.  I took a double batch to a get together with some friends, and came home with an empty platter.  I'll warn you, they are rich!  I could only eat one a couple of them before I had to stop. My brain said keep eating, but my stomach was protesting loudly.  Now I think I'm going through withdrawls thanks to these little devils.  Move over Diet Coke, I think I've found my new "drug" of choice.  I'd like to liquify them an take the intraveniously.  Can you tell how much I loved these? 

There are a couple of things you can do to make these turn out just right.  Be sure the baking pan is really well sprayed with non-stick spray.  It will make them easier to get out of the pan.  I also put them in the freezer for about 30 minutes before I cut them.  They froze just enough to make them easier to cut.  Just wipe your knife with a warm wet cloth between cuts and it is a lot easier.  Finally, DON'T try to use milk chocolate chips in this recipe.  The ganache won't set up and they will be impossible to handle.

Now for some fun varations!  Try adding about a teaspoon of orange extract to the ganache, or use peppermint extract and top them with crushed peppermint candies or candy canes.  Another one I need to try is spreading some seedless raspberry jam over the brownies and pouring the ganache over the jam.  I'm drooling just thinking about it!  Someone pass me a napkin?

Decadent Chocolate Truffle Brownies
Makes 25 Bars

12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (You can use semi-sweet chocolate chips)
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream

 
Prepare your pan by spraying an 11 x 7 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Combine 6 ounces chocolate and butter in medium Microwave safe bowl. Microwave at 50% power until melted, stirring about every minute.  Cool chocolate mixture until lukewarm, 5 to 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk sugar, eggs, vanilla, and salt in large bowl to blend. Stir in chocolate mixture, then flour. Transfer batter to prepared baking pan. Bake brownies at 350° until tester inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes. Transfer pan to cooling rack and let brownies cool completely.

Bring cream to simmer in small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add remaining 6 ounces chocolate to hot cream and let stand 5 minutes to soften, then whisk until melted and smooth. Pour chocolate ganache over brownie sheet in pan and spread to cover completely. Let ganache topping cool slightly before sprinkling with desired toppings. Let stand at cool room temperature until topping is set, about 4 hours. Using large sharp knife, cut brownies into about 25 squares, wiping knife with hot moist cloth after each cut. Arrange brownies on platter and serve. 


Source:  Let's Dish

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...