Monday, April 4, 2011

Crunchy Chicken Nachos


There are just some days when you don't have time to cook.  Those seem to be happening more and more around my house.  With 3 busy teenagers and 4 smaller children, I seem to be burning the candle at both ends and spreading myself way to thin.  So to simplify meal times, I've been collecting and trying some quick and easy recipes.  The kinds of meals that I always have the ingredients to make and can be put together in just a few minutes.  The only catch is that I don't want to sacrifice taste for ease and convenience.

I ran across these nachos at allrecipes.com, and they are just the kind of quick meal I've been looking for.  It is cheesy and crunchy and perfectly flavored.  I love these because they make a great quick dinner or a late- night-we're-watching-a-movie snack.  It can also be tailored to your tastes.  Add olives, some sliced jalapenos, black beans or fresh tomatoes.  The sky's the limit, so make it your own.

Crunchy Chicken Nachos
Serves 8

2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small yellow onion, diced
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 shredded, cooked, whole chicken breast
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup pico de gallo salsa (I used my favorite brand of jarred salsa)
1/2 (12 ounce) package tortilla chips
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar/Monterrey Jack cheese blend
6 green onions, sliced, green parts only
sour cream for serving (if desired)
guacamole for serving (if desired)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a 12 inch skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the garlic and yellow onion in canola oil until tender. Mix in shredded chicken, salt and pepper. Toss until well coated with oil. Stir in the salsa.

Arrange tortilla chips on a large baking sheet. Spoon the chicken mixture over tortilla chips. Top with Cheddar/Monterrey Jack cheese blend.

Bake in the preheated oven 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Remove from heat and sprinkle with green onion tops before serving. Serve with sour cream and guacamole if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...