Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Buttery Herb Bread




Boy have I been in a cooking funk lately.  Mother Nature can't decide whether it is winter or summer.  So instead of Old Man Winter hanging around, its his naughty younger cousin, Cold Wet Spring.  I think Utah is the only place where you can experience all four seasons in one day!  What does that have to do with my "funk" you say?  Well, I'm sick to death of the comfort foods that warm you up on cold days (which we've had plenty of), but its to cold for the light, sweet delicious foods of summer.  Its impossible to grill anything when it rains 5 days a week and is windy the other 2!  Ugh!  Whats a cook to do?  Make bread!!

I've been experimenting with different bread recipes and their many variations.  There isn't much you can't do with bread dough.  That's one of the things I like best about it.  From the same recipe you can make different shapes and add different spices so it never gets old. 

I made this to go with a new Italian recipe I tried.  I won't be posting that recipe, BLECH, but the bread was fabulous!  The savory, buttery, garlicky slices that just peel off are so delicious I could have eaten the entire loaf myself.  My family was so impressed with the beautiful presentation.  It was ooh's and ahaa's  all around my table. (Picture me with a big smile on my face patting myself on the back.)  I've made this 3 times in the last few weeks.  Its perfect with Sunday pot roast, soup or chili or anything really!

**This recipe calls for frozen bread dough.  Since I make my own bread, I let the dough rise the first time, then shape it into loaves and partially freeze them.  Then just prepare the bread and let the loaves rise, and bake.**

Buttery Herb Bread
2 loaves

2 loaves frozen bread dough, partially thawed
1/2 cup butter, melted
2-4 tsp. dried parsley flakes
2-4 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
2 tsp. garlic salt
4-6 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese

Cut partially thawed loaf into 12 slices, not quite cutting all the way through the bottom of the loaf.  In a small bowl, combine the butter, seasonings, salt and cheese.  Brush each slice, front and back with the butter mixture.

Place in a greased 8 x 4 inch loaf pan.  Pour any remaining butter mixture over the top, dividing equally between the 2 loaves.  Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise until it is about 1 inch above the top of the pan.  Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes.

Source:  Adapted from my friend Kimmy S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...