Friday, April 15, 2011

Fruity Tossed Salad



According to the calendar its supposed to be Spring.  Mother Nature apparently thinks otherwise (at least in my neck of the woods).  So I'm doing all the Spring-like things I can to help it along.  This salad is full of the very best of Spring.  Spinach, strawberries and spring greens make this fresh and delicious.  I will warn you, the dressing is a funky mix of flavors, and you'll wonder how its going to taste on a salad with fruit in it.  But let me tell you, it is sooo good!  But, one of my favorite parts of this salad is the bacon.  It adds a nice bit of saltiness that really compliments the rest of the salad.  My only complaint is that it needs more fruit and bacon in it.  They got a little lost in the greens.  So keep that in mind when you make this.

Fruity Tossed Salad
Serves 12-15

Dressing:

1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbs. cider vinegar
2 Tbs. honey
1 1/4 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1/2 tsp. grated onion
1/4 tsp. celery seed
Dash salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Salad:

6 cups torn greens (Romain holds up best with the dressing and the fruit)
2 cups fresh spinach
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 can Mandarin oranges, drained
1 medium sweet onion, sliced into rings
1/3 cup slivered almonds (I forgot to put these in)
4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

In a small saucepan, combine the first 9 ingredients.  Heat on medium high heat and stir until sugar is dissolved..  Whisk in the oil.  Cover and refrigerate until serving.  In a salad bowl, combine the greens, strawberries, oranges, onion, almonds and bacon.  Drizzle with dressing right before serving and gently toss to coat.

Source:  My friend Kimmy S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...