Monday, June 27, 2011

Skillet Cordon Bleu


This recipe has been a staple at our house for several years.  I love chicken cordon bleu, but I rarely have the time to make it.  And my kiddos just don't appreciate all the work that goes in to flattening and rolling the chicken.  This is mostly done in a skillet on the stove top, which is good since I currently don't have an oven.  The only thing I couldn't do was put the chicken under the broiler to melt the cheese.  So instead, I put the lid on the skillet and let the cheese melt that way. 

My favorite part of this dish is the Ritz cracker crumb coating.  Say that 5 times fast!  Its buttery and crispy and delish!  And the chicken is so tender that no knife is needed.  But best of all, it cooks up in less than half an hour.  Speedy and yummy.  Who could ask for more?

Skillet Cordon Bleu
Serves 4

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup butter flavored crackers (I used Ritz roasted vegetable flavor)
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbs. butter or margarine, divided
4 slices deli ham
4 slices provolone cheese

Flatten the chicken to about 1/4 inch thickness.  Place the egg in a shallow bowl.  Combine the cracker crumbs and salt in another shallow bowl.  Dip the chicken in egg then in the cracker crumbs.  Set aside.

In a large oven proof skillet, saute the mushrooms in 1 Tbs. butter until tender.  Remove and set aside.  In the same skillet, melt the remaining butter (I always need a little bit more).  Add the chicken and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until the juices run clear.  Top each chicken breast with a ham slice, mushrooms and a slice of cheese.  Broil 4 inches from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

Source:  I've been making this for more years than I can count and I don't remember where it came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...