Tuesday, August 30, 2011

BBQ Chicken Kebabs



This weekend is the last big BBQ weekend of the summer, so I thought I'd share my favorite BBQ chicken recipe from this summer.  I originally started out to make this recipe, until I opened up my cupboards and realized I had almost none of the ingredients.  So I pulled out every spice I had that would even remotely taste good on BBQ chicken and made up my own version.  And it was fabulous!  It was so good that I made it twice in one week.  My kiddos loved having their own skewers and the whole meal was a huge success!

For this recipe, you'll use bacon in a way you would have never imagined.  I'm talking bacon paste.  Sounds disgusting, tastes delicious!  I've been seriously pondering other ways to use it.  Its magical!  It adds a subtle, smokey flavor to these kebabs.  I'm drooling just thinking about it!

BBQ Chicken Kebabs
Serves 4-6


2 lbs. chicken, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
2 Tbs. BBQ seasoning (I used McCormick)
1 Tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
dash red pepper flakes
2 Tbs. sugar
BBQ sauce
Skewers (if you are using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes)

Toss the chicken and salt together.  Cover and chill 1 hour.  Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.

In a small  bowl, combine the paprika, BBQ seasoning, chili powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and sugar.

Process the bacon in a food processor until a smooth paste forms, about 30-45 seconds, scraping down the bowl as needed.

Add the bacon and spice mix to the chicken and blend until the chicken is completely coated with the bacon paste.  Thread the chicken loosely onto skewers.  Don't waste any of the bacon mixture, just press any remaining onto the skewered chicken.

Grill, turning every 2-3 minutes until browned and slightly charred, about 8-10 minutes total.  Brush with BBQ sauce and flip and cook until sauce is brown in spots, about 1 minute.  Brush the second side with BBQ sauce and flip to grill 1 minute.  Serve immediately.

Inspired by:  Mel's Kitchen Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...