Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Monterrey Chicken



Wow!  I've been MIA for a while now!  Blame it on Mother Nature.  She always sucks me in with all the beautiful, fresh fruits and veggies this time of year.  She makes me spend months canning and preserving every possible peach, apple, pear, carrot and green bean.  It isn't like they'll never be around again, its just that they don't taste nearly as good from the grocery store shelf as they do from the Mason jars in my basement.  So over 300 quarts later, I'm finally back.

This chicken is one of my "go to" recipes.  Super easy, quick and I always have all the ingredients on hand.  Chicken, cheese, BBQ sauce and bacon.  It doesn't get any easier than that.  Or tastier!  My kiddos love it when they find out I'm making this for dinner.

There are a couple of ways you can do this.  You can cook whole chicken breasts, smother them with BBQ, cheese and bacon then pop in the oven to melt the cheese.  My preferred method is using chicken cut into bite sized chunks.  It cooks faster and is easier to eat than using whole breasts.  So if you're in a hurry and need something quick and delicious for dinner, this is right up your alley.

Monterrey Chicken
Serves 4-6


4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into chunks (I plan 1 breast per person and 1/2 breast for kids)
1 -1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce (Use your favorite.  I used this homemade version)
1-2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese
6 slices bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled

In a skillet, fry the chicken in oil until it is browned and cooked through.  Transfer to a baking pan.  Spread chicken with BBQ sauce, then sprinkle with cheese and bacon.

Bake at 350° for10-12 minutes or until the cheese is melted and gooey.  Serve and enjoy!

Source:  A Mommy's original recipe

2 comments:

  1. Ummm, did you say "300 quarts"?? I hope that is a tiny exaggeration. I'm just getting into the canning thing in the past couple of years. You are so right about the flavors being amazing. Store canned peaches don't hold a candle to home canned. Toni, send me an email I'd love to chat, but I don't see an email address for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 300 quarts is actually pretty accurate! I spend about 3-4 hours a day, 4-5 days a week from early August to mid-October canning. I grow a large garden and I live in a major fruit producing area, so there is always fresh produce everywhere! It doesn't get any more local than apples that grow across the street from your own house!

    ReplyDelete

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...