Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie



Thanksgiving is fast approaching!  I just found out this week that Thanksgiving is NEXT week.  I don't know what I was thinking.  Actually, I do.  I was hoping that I still had a few more weeks until Christmas.  Aren't we all?

For now, let me tell you a little about this pie.  This is my grandmother's pumpkin pie recipe.  Its what has been served at our Thanksgiving table for over 60 years.  Its a no bake pumpkin pie recipe made with unflavored gelatin.  Its so funny, until I went to college I had no idea that most people bake their pumpkin pies.

I love this recipe because the pie is so moist and delicious.  I never have to worry about the top of my pie cracking or having it dry out.  My biggest problem is when little fingers poke holes in it while its chilling.  Someday I'll miss having little holes poked in my pumpkin pies.

Another option to serving this in pie shells is to make a graham cracker crust and press it into the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking pan.  Then pour the pie filling over the crust and chill. 

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
Makes 3-4 pies

1 large can pumpkin
6 eggs, separated
4-5 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
dash of salt
1 3/4 cup sugar, divided
1 cup milk
2 pkg. unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup cold water

In a small bowl, dissolve the gelatin in the cold water and set aside.  In a large pan, heat the pumpkin, egg yolks, pumpkin pie spice, salt, 1 cup of sugar and milk.  Cook and stir until the mixture thickens.  Remove from heat and add the gelatin to the pumpkin mixture.  Allow the pumpkin to cool to room temperature.

In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with 3/4 cup of sugar until stiff peaks form.  Add to the cooled pumpkin mixture.  Mix well.  The pumpkin will lighten in color, but continue stirring until it is a uniform color.  Pour into baked pie shells and chill until ready to serve.

Source:  Family recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...