Thursday, December 8, 2011

Banana Snickerdoodles



Does it seem to you that I've been on a snickerdoodle kick lately?  I'm thinking the same thing.  But I have to say, that these are the best of the bunch.  I ran across this on Pinterest.  Shocking, I know, that I made something I found there.  Actually, I even have a board that is just for the pins I've tried.  I'm so proud!  Sniff, sniff. 

Anyway.... these were a nice change from the usual snickerdoodle.  They were packed with banana flavor.  My kiddos couldn't eat them fast enough.  I have to admit, I ate my fair share as well.  As I was pigging out on them, I was thinking how great these would be made into a sandwich cookie with some chocolate cream cheese frosting.  Hmmm...I think I see an experiment in my future.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Banana Snickerdoodles
Makes about 36 cookies

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon cream of tartar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar, plus more for dipping
2 eggs
1 1/2 ripe bananas, mashed
Ground cinnamon

In a medium bowl, sift flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.

In a large bowl cream shortening and sugar; about 2 minutes.  Add eggs and banana, mix well.  Add flour mixture and mix until blended.

Once the dough is mixed it will be very wet.  Use a Tablespoon sized scoop to drop balls into cinnamon-sugar. (I used about 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon or 2 of cinnamon).  The dough becomes very easy to work with once dipped in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.  Roll into balls and bake on a baking sheet at 400° for 9 minutes.  Cool cookies on a wire rack.  Store in an airtight container and they will stay soft for several days.


Source:  Adapted slightly from Noble Pig

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...