Thursday, January 5, 2012

Blueberry Muffin Top Cookies



My hubby thinks I'm crazy.  I always tell him that after nearly 20 years together, he should know that by now.  The reason he thinks I'm crazy is because I like to use recipes I find in books.  In fact, I read the books just for the recipes.  My latest culinary novels are the Sadie Hoffmiller culinary mystery series by Josi S. Kilpack.  There are 6 books and they are a lot of fun to read.  And they have some fun recipes.  Today's recipe comes from book #5 Blackberry Crumble.


These cookies have fast become one of my favorites.  I dare say I prefer them over chocolate chip cookies. **GASP!**  They taste just like blueberry muffins but with sightly crunchy bottoms (which I love about them, by the way!).  Thanks to the lemon zest, they also have a nice lemony flavor, so don't skip it!

While I'm here, let me say something about lemon juice.  I have a pathological hatred of bottled lemon juice.  When you cook or bake, always use fresh lemon/lime/orange juice.  Please.  Pretty please.  With sugar on top.  It makes all the difference in the world.  Its worth the 35 cents for a fresh lemon.  Trust me.  Fresh food equals fresh taste, every time!

So without further ado, I give you the delicious, the fabulous, the blueberry-licious....

Blueberry Muffin Top Cookies
Makes about 24 cookies (I know, it doesn't make enough)

1⁄2 cup shortening
1⁄4 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
11/2 teaspoons lemon zest (can use 1 teaspoon lemon juice instead)
2 tablespoons milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
11⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh blueberries, or frozen blueberries (no need to thaw)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter, egg, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest, and milk.

In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add to shortening mixture until just mixed. Fold in blueberries, careful not to crush the berries. The batter might be a little crumbly.

Drop by teaspoonfuls (or 1-inch scoops) onto parchment or silicone-mat baking sheet (blueberries stick like crazy).  A baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray works too.

Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until muffin tops are golden brown. Cool on cookie sheet for two minutes before moving to a rack to cool.

Optional glaze

11⁄2 tablespoons butter
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Mix all ingredients together. Drizzle over cookies while cookies are still warm

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...