Thursday, June 21, 2012

Broccoli, Grape and Pasta Salad


Have you ever found a recipe you love so much that you make it over and over and over?  Well this is that kind of recipe for me.  I've made it no less than 6 times in the last month.  And I doubled it every time.  I've eaten pounds and pounds of the stuff and I still love it.  When I make it my kiddos beg for it.  How many kids beg for broccoli?  It is that good!

I've taken this to a half a dozen potluck over the last couple of months and every time I come home with an empty bowl and multiple recipe requests.  I've even started taking copies of the recipe to hand out.  So remember this for your Fourth of July bbq or your next backyard weenie roast.  You won't be disappointed!

Broccoli, Grape and Pasta Salad
Serves 6-8 

1 cup slivered almonds
1/3-1/2 cup sugar
1 (16-oz.) package bow-tie pasta 
1 pound fresh broccoli  
1 cup mayonnaise  
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup diced red onion
1/3 cup red wine vinegar 
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups seedless red grapes, halved 
8 cooked bacon slices, crumbled  

Stir together the almonds and sugar in a skillet over medium heat.  Stir often until the sugar begins to melt, then stir constantly until the almonds are coated and the sugar is completely dissolved.  Spread on a piece of foil that has been coated with cooking spray and allow to cool.

Prepare the pasta according to the package directions. 

Meanwhile, cut the broccoli into florets.  

Whisk together the mayonnaise and the next 4 ingredients in a bowl.  Combine the broccoli, hot cooked pasta and grapes.  Stir in the mayonnaise mixture and stir to coat.  Cover and chill for 3 hours.  Stir in bacon and candied almonds just before serving. 

Source:  Adapted from Southern Living September 2011

1 comment:

  1. Nice!

    Take away the pasta & the grapes & you have the broccoli bacon salad my Hubby psychotically LOVES. Will have to try your variation and see what he thinks!

    ReplyDelete

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...