Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Spiced Pear Bread


I have had fresh pears coming out my ears the last few weeks!  We are talking 5+ bushels.  I have a neighbor who is a commercial fruit grower and every Tuesday they have a "farmer's market" where I can buy the seconds or slightly blemished fruit for $5 a bushel.  It's ridiculously cheap and ridiculously good fruit.  Needless to say, I've bought a lot of fruit this year.  One Hundred quarts of pears later I decided it was time to find something else to do with them.  So Google and I had a party, and this is what I found!

I kind of made this on a whim, but I'm so glad I did.  Do you see the chunks of pears in that picture?  Imagine that in nearly every bite!  It was delicious!  I made 3 different sizes of loaves, froze some and took some to the neighbors.  It was a hit with everyone who tried it!

Spiced Pear Bread

3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour 
1 cup sugar 
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon 
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt 
3 eggs 
3 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) sliced pears, drained and mashed (Or 3 cups chopped fresh pears)
1/2 cup canola oil

In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, pears and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Pour into four 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.  For muffins:  pour into greased muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes.  For larger loaves:  Pour into greased loaf pan and bake 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Source:  Adapted slightly from Taste of Home

3 comments:

  1. I've been doing the pear thing too...but not in that quantity, WOW! The bread looks amazing, perfect with tea I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pears, and my family doesn't...More for me!

    Garrett @TheGrowingPatch

    www.growingpatch.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if your family loved pears you'd want to hide the bread! ;)

      Delete

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...