Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pineapple Sweet Rolls


Is anyone else out there dying for winter to end?  I've had all I can take of being cold.  When I get like this I always try to find some way to transport myself to warmer climates, even if it's only in my mind.  So last week, I took a trip to the pineapple plantations of Hawaii with these sweet rolls.

These rolls are sweet and soft with just a touch of citrus that puts them over the top.  I sat at our dining table, looking out the window as I ate one.  All I saw in my mind were palm trees swaying in the breeze and waves lapping up on the shore of a white sandy beach.  It almost made me forget that the white sand was actually four inches of new snow and the breeze was gale force winds.  These were a great vacation, even if it was only for my taste buds.

Pineapple Sweet Rolls
Makes 24-30 rolls

2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast 
1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°) 
1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°) 
6 tablespoons butter, melted 
1 cup sugar 
1 teaspoon salt
 2 eggs, beaten  
6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
  
FILLING: 

1 tablespoon butter 
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour 
1/2 cup pineapple juice
2 tablespoons grated orange peel 
1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained 
1/3 cup sugar 

GLAZE: 

1/2 cup confectioners' sugar  
1 tablespoon orange juice

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, eggs and 1-1/3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add pineapple juice. Stir in remaining filling ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each half into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread filling evenly over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 1-in. rolls. Place with cut side down into two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over rolls.

Source:  Adapted from Taste of Home

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...