Friday, April 12, 2013

Quick Chili


Things have been so busy lately that I've really been relying on my favorite throw together recipes.  My kiddos are running on the track team at their high school this year, so I'm having to run into town everyday to pick them up, right at dinner time.  It makes it hard to put anything that even resembles a meal on the table.  And I have to admit, we've had more YOYO (You're On Your Own) nights than I'm comfortable with.  My younger kiddos have even started telling me that if they have to have grilled cheese sandwiches one more time they are going to barf them up in front of me.  Yum.  So I finally pulled myself together and started to plan ahead a little better than I have been.  Usually I'm pretty on top of things, but lately....

I love this chili because if I'm short on time I can have it on the table in 30 minutes and if I plan ahead and make it early in the day I can dump it in the slow cooker on low and it is ready and delicious when we finally have time to eat.

This is also a family favorite.  I know I've mentioned my oldest son, Colton's love of food.  The kid is 6 foot 4 inches and has 2 hollow legs that also seem to be bottomless pits.  All he has to do is smell this cooking and I'm greeted with groans of delight.  I always try to make extra because it tastes fantastic as leftovers.

Quick Chili
Serves 8

1 (12 oz.) can kidney beans
1 (12 oz.) can pinto beans
1 (12 oz.) can black beans
2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 lb. hamburger
1/4 cup diced onion
garlic salt to taste
1 (12 oz.) can green beans, undrained
1 (12 oz.) can whole kernel corn, undrained
1 pkg. chili seasoning mix
1 cup diced beef stick or kielbasa
1/4 cup ketchup
Drain and rinse the beans. In a large pot, brown the ground beef, onions and garlic salt. Drain any grease. Mix the remaining ingredients in with the ground beef and simmer for 20-30 minutes if you have time or just heat through and serve.   At this point, you can transfer it to a slow cooker and leave it on low until you're ready to eat.

Source:  Tammy H.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...