Monday, September 20, 2010

Garden Vegetable Foccacia


I've been looking for a way to use the excess produce from my garden before it becomes a victim of the weather.  I've tried almost everything imaginable, but I think this is one of my favorites.  This is an original recipe, and I'm really quite proud of how it turned out.  I was beautiful and delicious!  I actually made this in my dutch oven, but to make it in your kitchen just press the dough into a 10 x 15 inch baking pan!

Garden Vegetable Focaccia

3/4 cup plus 3 Tbs. warm water
3 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. nonfat dry milk powder
3 Tbs. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
Olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
Sliced tomatoes (make sure you use a meaty tomato, romas would work well)
Sliced green peppers (I used strips, but rings would be really pretty)
Sliced onions, separated into rings
Dried basil
Dried thyme
Parmesan cheese, shredded

In a bowl, combine the water and yeast. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. add remaining ingredients and knead well. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Knead for 1 minute. Roll out into a well greased 15x10" baking pan.  Cover and let rise 20-30 minutes. With a wooden spoon handle, make indentations a 1" intervals. Mix the garlic and olive oil together and with a pastry brush spread it over the dough.  Then arrange the vegetables on top.  Sprinkle with herbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 13-15 minutes or until slightly browned. Serves 8-10.

Source:  A Mommy's original recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...