Thursday, January 6, 2011

Creamy Italian Chicken


I know everyone and their mother's dog has a recipe for this chicken.  But honestly, I've never tried it until now.  I was always turned off by the block of cream cheese the recipe calls for.  I'm not a huge fan of cream cheese in savory dishes.  Put it in brownies or cheesecake and I'm there, but with chicken....not so much.  But last night, I finally bit the bullet and tried it.  And today, I'm wondering why I waited so long.  This is really good despite the fact that it calls for cream soup, which I generally try to avoid.  Even my hubby (my pickiest eater) went back for seconds.  That's a glowing recommendation.

One of the best things about this dish is that it uses the slow cooker.  My poor crock pot has spent the last year really lonely.  My dutch ovens were getting all the attention.  I could tell it was happy to get off the shelf and get some use.  This is a great busy weeknight meal!

Creamy Italian Chicken
Serves 4-6

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 onion, chopped
1 (0.6 oz.) package dry Italian dressing mix
4 oz. cream cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup

Place the chicken, onion and dressing mix in a greased slow cooker.  Cook on high for 4-6 hours or until the chicken is tender.  Remove the chicken and shred with 2 forks.  Return the chicken to the slow cooker.  In a sauce pan, combine the cream cheese and cream soup until it is smooth and hot.  Add to the chicken and stir to combine.  Cover and cook 1 hour more.  Serve over rice.

Source:  Adapted from Amy S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...