Thursday, March 17, 2011

Amazing Roasted Asparagus


Oh asparagus, how I love thee!  I'm totally addicted to asparagus.  I could eat it everyday and never get sick of it.  I use it in soups, pasta dishes and crepes, but my favorite way to serve the ultimate spring veggie is oven roasted.  The process is so simple and the ingredients so few that all you get is pure, unadulterated asparagus flavor. 

Even the self proclaimed asparagus hater will love these.  My kiddos rush to the the table whenever this is on the menu.  I have a dear friend who after 39 years on the planet has only recently discovered this wonder of the culinary world.  I offer her my congratulations and wish her and asparagus a long and happy relationship! 

I'm getting a little dramatic here, but really, this stuff is great.  Oven roasting (as opposed to boiling) brings out the sugars and flavors in this veggie.  You really should try it...today.

Amazing Roasted Asparagus
Serves 4-6

1 lb. asparagus  (thick spears are best for roasting)
2 Tbs. olive oil
Kosher/coarse salt
Fresh ground black pepper

Pre-heat oven to 400°.  Wash the asparagus and break off the tough ends of the stem and discard.  Lay the asparagus spears out in a single layer in a baking dish. Drizzle olive oil over the spears, roll the asparagus back and forth until they are all covered with a thin layer of olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Rub over the asparagus so that they are evenly distributed.

Place pan in oven and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes, depending on how thick your asparagus spears are, until lightly browned and tender when pierced with a fork. Serve immediately.

Source:  A long time family recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...