Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Strawberry and Green Apple Crisp


As you can see, we're undergoing some renovations here.  I hope you like the new look of the site.  I'm not quite finished, but I'll get things done as quickly as I can.  I'm not the most tech savvy gal on the planet, so bear with me.

Today, I'm sharing one of my favorite spring desserts.  With strawberries so plentiful and fresh I make this about once a week this time of year.  It is the perfect marriage of sweet and tart.  I can feel my taste buds tingling just thinking about it!  But honestly, I think the topping is what makes this great.  I have at least a dozen fruit crisp recipes, but I use this topping on every one of them.  It crisps up beautifully and is nicely spiced.

This recipe only makes an 8 x 8 pan, so its certainly not enough to feed my crew of 9 people.  Just a warning, if you double the recipe, don't double the topping unless you want some extra to use another time.  There will be plenty of topping to cover a 9 x 13 pan.

Strawberry and Green Apple Crisp
Serves 10-12

4 c. thinly sliced Granny Smith apples
1 c. thickly sliced strawberries
3/4 c. oats
1 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
5 TBS. butter, nearly melted
2 TBS. chopped walnuts (optional)

Place cut fruit in a greased 8x8 glass baking dish.  Mix dry ingredients, pouring nearly melted butter over mixture and work through with fork until the mixture becomes crumbly. Top with walnuts if desired.  Pour mixture over fruit and spread evenly.  Bake at 375° for 35 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...